Skip to main content

A Legacy from the Great War. (WW1)

A Legacy from the Great War.  (WW1)

(I first posted this on the 11th of the 11th, Remembrance day. But as today is Armed forces day and the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme I thought it justifiable to give it a further outing)


   
   I was watching a television trailer, regarding a forthcoming documentary, examining life of those who lived and fought from the trenches. I was struck by the number of film clips that were taken at the front line. That so many have survived for the past one hundred years is quite amazing considering the ease of degradation of the materials used. I had not previously considered such an archive of moving images existed, considering movie making was in its infancy at that time.

   Seeing these short monochrome (mostly although a few colour films were produced) films of men going about their daily lives on the front line, brought the characters of those captured on cellulose to life in a way I did not think possible. In conjunction with this footage was often clear and exceptional commentary.

    A number of factors emerged which I was unaware of; such as staging football tournaments between various regiments, and the front line horticultural competitions for growing vegetables and flowers. These were passionately contested.

     I came to the conclusion, of which I am certain I was aware, but not given conscious thought. It is…….this was the first time we have a recorded and documented history on such a massive scale, yet with meticulous and comprehensive detail covering every aspect of human life during the events.


   Further to this is the fact, this information was collected and collated by individuals as well as all the various states and nations involved, giving us the data we need to conclude a balanced and unbiased account of the true circumstances and conditions of life during the conflict, whether at sea, in the air, or indeed on the Western front.


   Never before have we had so much indisputable evidence of an historic event, even one of this magnitude. Furthermore, this is the first time we, the general public, can see, hear, even feel (to some extent), the character of the ordinary people entangled in the War.


    The events of this War are now ‘beyond living memory’. All those who participated have died. Which means we must learn and teach our young, from the footage, the photography and the written and recorded archives that exist.



    Hopefully this information will, one day, be part of the lesson that shall teach us all...that war has no victors and no winners, ever.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Batang Lalake

Wednesday, April 15, 2015  This post is from my friend Cee Que  who is a terrific poet and writer,as I am sure you will find when you read her words below. Happy 21st Birthday, Joey!!! I cry at these milestones because it reminds me how fast the years have gone by...I don't think my Joey knows I wrote this poem for him a while back... Family Portrait - 2008 - photo by  Peter J. Crowley Batang Lalake (Baby Boy) his speech lagged at three born with babies crying in his ears now man-heavy  his voice: bass and harmonica  as if he were bobbing and reading  sheet music at the same time woolly mornings and stretched tight nights overcrowded him gruff tree against the realm— my boy at man's threshold determined to etch on his coat of arms permanent ink of love and mirth no yardstick no barometer, just him over there in the heart of the labyrinth More of CEE QUE's work can be found  on  http://you...

Her Skin (poetry)

FIRST POSTED ON   HTTPS://THEPBSBLOG.WORDPRESS.COM I fell in love with this as soon as I started reading. I think you might do the same. Pearls Before Swine POETRY Her Skin November 9, 2015 Yecheilyah She has heard for too long now that her pores bleed the color of slave ships that chains have been seen in her smile that her skin shines like a beacon of shame sprinkled amidst Mississippi cotton fields sometimes her beauty sticks out like a diamond in the ruff they notice her and still she is only pretty for a dark skin girl Who does she think she is? being darker than a brown paper bag? The truth is that she is the color of the Goddesses a dark chocolate kiss neatly wrapped in silk want to touch her face just to see if it’s real just to see if it’ll melt underneath my fingertips Instead I’ll keep my hands to myself don’t want to be the stone responsible for the wrinkles in her skin this delicate rose petal of a woman reborn in the spring don’...

Because I loved you

Posted on   November 26, 2015  on https://countingducks.wordpress.com   reflections on a passing life. by   Peter Wells aka Countingducks             I cannot hold your hand this year, I cannot share that memory. I cannot pour a drink for you or walk the beach where we both walked. I cannot laugh as we both laughed or dance a night time’s life away, sure we have eternity I cannot hold your arm this year, and steady you across the road, two old people braving time and laughing at futility. I cannot travel back with you, glass in hand to memories when, young at heart, we hid our  insecurities. I cannot see you in the room, smiling as you always did, at some transgression in our midst, or drive too fast down country lanes or swim where reckless people swim: ignoring safety was our pride. We always got away with it: made it to the other side; but are you are gone and I am here, stripped of context by my age...