Skip to main content

Life Outside The Boundry


This is a Blog I follow on WordPress by 
 in his blog called CountingDucks. 
https://countingducks.wordpress.com


All, well and good. Pat on the back for the big man, and mine’s a large one. Oh yes, I could  ” Hang out”  with the crowd and sniff a line of something: drink without regard to safety and spread the word that life’s a party once you find the invitation. Sometimes I might go “missing after action” and wander the streets recalling fragments of my childhood.
I am the product of Manchester parents, a cleaner and a decorator, later divorced. My childhood was scrapped together in those fleeting moments when my father was sober enough to remember he had a home, and my mother was not accepting her compensations from passing strangers. Me and my older sister used to sit up in the attic pretending we had parents, and that somewhere just out of sight, there really was a field of green.
My sister is my only friend: my constancy. She lives a quiet life married  to a man of routine and then there is me. I have been that watchful, wild man, who knows more than he should and takes more than is his, because we are all bandits are we not: some braver than others?  I walk through a landscape of my own making and leave others to talk of world peace and comfort themselves with new furnishings, until now that is.
Out late at night, and slightly drunk, I met a lady sitting on a step, and of similar mind to mine, staring up at what London street lights allow us to enjoy of the night sky. She looked at me and her face filled with recognition.  “Your that famous fucker” she said and I nodded as modestly as drunks  can do. Just as I was about to accept her admiration she followed up with “You’re full of shit, and the sad thing is you know it.”
Truth is seldom comfortable  and often arrives unexpectedly so I was silent and then I asked her “What her grief was?” and she introduced me to her life. She had been a photographer in Afghanistan, recording the pain and trauma of a besieged population. She had travelled across the Arctic, and sat in deserts in India swapping languages. ” And as for you, ” she said, ” You made money and used it to avoid criticism: the cowards victory. Do something better with yourself.”   I offered to help her, of course, because that’s what patrons do, but she just laughed it off and walked into the night. Brave and independent. she was a women who travelled through life without the aid of maps.
The light does not shine on every diamond. Some jewels are wrapped in modesty and never worn for display, but in her anger, born of weariness and contempt, she brought me to a life of context. In her I found another sister.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Batang Lalake

Wednesday, April 15, 2015  This post is from my friend Cee Que  who is a terrific poet and writer,as I am sure you will find when you read her words below. Happy 21st Birthday, Joey!!! I cry at these milestones because it reminds me how fast the years have gone by...I don't think my Joey knows I wrote this poem for him a while back... Family Portrait - 2008 - photo by  Peter J. Crowley Batang Lalake (Baby Boy) his speech lagged at three born with babies crying in his ears now man-heavy  his voice: bass and harmonica  as if he were bobbing and reading  sheet music at the same time woolly mornings and stretched tight nights overcrowded him gruff tree against the realm— my boy at man's threshold determined to etch on his coat of arms permanent ink of love and mirth no yardstick no barometer, just him over there in the heart of the labyrinth More of CEE QUE's work can be found  on  http://you...

Her Skin (poetry)

FIRST POSTED ON   HTTPS://THEPBSBLOG.WORDPRESS.COM I fell in love with this as soon as I started reading. I think you might do the same. Pearls Before Swine POETRY Her Skin November 9, 2015 Yecheilyah She has heard for too long now that her pores bleed the color of slave ships that chains have been seen in her smile that her skin shines like a beacon of shame sprinkled amidst Mississippi cotton fields sometimes her beauty sticks out like a diamond in the ruff they notice her and still she is only pretty for a dark skin girl Who does she think she is? being darker than a brown paper bag? The truth is that she is the color of the Goddesses a dark chocolate kiss neatly wrapped in silk want to touch her face just to see if it’s real just to see if it’ll melt underneath my fingertips Instead I’ll keep my hands to myself don’t want to be the stone responsible for the wrinkles in her skin this delicate rose petal of a woman reborn in the spring don’...

THE MEMORY BOOK

Every now and then a certain blog catches my eye, like this one INNOCENT THOUGHTS OF A GUILTY MAN written by David Anthony  http://davidanthony31.blogspot.co.uk/2015_06_01_archive.html As I read this I found I liked the narrative-cum-prose as I found it as enchanting as the story itself. It is for that reason I have re-blogged it here on BRILLIANT BLOG SHARE. So please feel free to post this onto your own contacts and spread the love! When she left me, she left me with this memory book A collection of happiness clothed in love I torture myself, and peek at how the memories look, She said she made it for me, for me to remember us. It sits in the bottom of my closet, All covered in dirt and clothes, And I wish that I could simply disregard it A simple task it should be, I know. And yet it stays, in the corner of dark places The picture of it reminds me of an Edgar Allen Poe Poem it was like her "Tell Tale Heart" was in the pages And I cou...